5 TIPS FOR PERFECT STANDING POSTURE
One of our massage therapists, Nicky McClean, will be taking over the blog for the next few Tuesdays to share her posture tips.
Posture is vital for maintaining the correct fluid dynamic in the body. If you are compressing an area of the body, you are prohibiting blood and lymph flow and therefore depriving that area of oxygen and nutrients. This can slow down the body natural healing processes.
Research has not shown a direct link between pain and poor posture. However, no one can deny the positive mental impact good posture can have on you! Standing up straight makes you look taller and slimmer – and who doesn’t want that?!
Here are today’s tips for good standing posture:
- Chin retraction. Place your hand on the back of your neck and lift your neck so that your chin tucks in neatly, rather than jutting out.
- Stand equally balanced. Ensure the tops of your hip bones are level.
- Turn your palms forward when walking to pull your shoulders back and down.
- Don’t hang bags off your shoulders! Use backpacks or wheelie bags or wear shoulder bags across the body.
- Keep your arms at your sides, with the little fingers curled around the back of the thighs to keep shoulders back.
Try to remember these points and practice this posture when standing in queues, waiting for a bus – anywhere! – until it becomes second nature to you.
Keep an eye out for Nicky’s other posture blogs, coming up in the next few weeks.
Nicky works Tuesday afternoons and alternate Saturday. To book an appointment please call or book online.