BUILD YOUR OWN FIRST AID KIT
A First Aid kit is a handy thing to have in your home, car or place of work. All too often, the things we need are scattered in different places in our homes – one cupboard for medicines, plasters in another cupboard. Often when we need something, we can’t find it!
The best thing to have is a dedicated First Aid kit. Ideally this would be a child-safe box or out-of-reach cupboard, depending on the space you have available and what is convenient for you.
You can buy ready-made kits and this is a quick and easy way to start out. However, it’s simple to create your own!
A basic First Aid kit should contain:
- Compress dressings
- Adhesive bandages
- Antibiotic ointment and antiseptic wipes
- Instant cold press
- Rolls of bandages
- Sterile gauze pads
- Gloves – go for non-latex, you never know if someone using your kit is allergic to latex!
- Scissors – to cut bandages
Include any personal medication you have as well.
Always ensure that you have spares of everything and it is also handy to have different sized compresses and bandages, to cover every eventuality.
You can also add:
- A breathing barrier
- A blanket – this is particularly useful when building a First Aid kit for your car
Once you have your First Aid kit, it is important to maintain it. This only takes 5mins and you should make it a habit to do it once a month:
- Check expiry dates and update anything that needs it
- Check the batteries in the torch, if you have included one.
- Keep a list of the contents in the kit – this way you can check off what is in your kit and you’ll know immediately if you’re running low on anything.