TOP 10 MARATHON TIPS
“If you want to win something, run the 100m. If you want to experience something, run a marathon.” Emil Zatopek
1) Decide exactly which kit, socks and trainers you’ll wear. We recommend avoiding anything that is brand new. Ladies, don’t forget hair grips and scrunchies.
2) Read the race instructions at least twice well before race day.
3) Decide which will be your last toilet stop pre race and which water stations you’ll use during the race.
4) If you don’t use a GPS and you’re going for a specific time, write your target mile times on one arm.
5) Write the name of your loved ones on the other arm, one for each mile or just for when the going gets tough (the last 6 miles).
6) Visualise yourself crossing the finish line in your target time. Keep on doing this in the week before the race.
7) Don’t worry if you don’t sleep. If your training has gone to plan, you will still have a good race.
8) Have your breakfast at least 2 hours before the start. Porridge, bananas and coffee are our favourites but don’t try anything new.
9) Get to the start early but not so early you get cold. Take a dustbin bag or old top for warmth.
10) Try to relish each moment of the race. This is the time to savour all your hard training!
Good luck to everyone doing the London or another Spring marathon!