HYDRATE! THE IMPORTANCE OF WATER AND HOW TO DRINK ENOUGH
Hydration is very important – especially as we experience soaring temperatures this summer. Whenever you visit the Forge, it’s more than likely your practitioner will ask how much water you drink.
Proper hydration is important for many reasons:
- Water makes up more than half your body weight and every cell, tissue and organ in your body needs water in order to function.
- Your body uses water to regulate its temperature, lubricate joints and remove waste.
- Water is critical to the optimal functioning of the digestive system.
- It’s essential to the transportation of nutrients and oxygen around your body.
Now that you know how important water is to the day-to-day functioning of your body, here are our tips for ensuring you get all you need:
- Buy a refillable bottle and keep it with you throughout the day. Make sure you fill it before you leave home or work to ensure you have something to sip on your commute home.
- Be sure to increase your water intake when exercising and take water with you.
- If you don’t like drinking plain water, try adding lemon or lime.
- Drink more herbal teas. While tea and coffee count towards your daily fluid intake, the caffeine content can make you jittery. Fruit juices are too sugary to drink often, so caffeine-free herbal teas are a good alternative.
- When you’re hungry, try a glass of water before you eat. We often confuse the sensation of thirst with hunger. If you are still hungry after a drink – you really are hungry!
- Always ask for water at a restaurant, even if you’re eating something else. Every little helps!
- Start a schedule if you struggle to hit your daily requirements. You can drink water when you wake up, go to bed and at every meal. You could try a small glass of water every hour. Or you could invest in a large bottle of water and mark the hours of the day, so you know when to drink.